January 9, 2006

Flint Hills

These are pictures I took out my car windows while driving through the Flint Hills (take it from me, don't try this yourself, or only do it once if you have to, like I did). This is a region of gradually rolling hills in Kansas that has very little top soil on top of flint (or "rock chalk"), and fire is a critical part of the prairie ecosystem, so trees have a very difficult time surviving. The result is awe-inspiring, and this is one of the most beautiful places on earth, even when all the grass is dormant for the winter. My favorite pictures from the trip are below.














4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow.... That's such a great camera, considering you were driving and taking the picture with one hand. That one with the tree is amazing. Great timing.

Nathan said...

I couldn't believe it when I saw that one. It was definitely quantity and not quality that got these pictures. In fact, several were taken without even looking, like if I knew that a great view would be somewhat behind me, I just pointed the camera in that direction and shot as many as I could.

One of the reasons I took these is so you could have a reference for the mural in mom and dad's bathroom.

Katie B said...

I know you have an unnatural love for the Flint Hills, but don't you think it's about time to post something else?

Katie B said...

just sayin...